Monday, December 19, 2011

almost paris

I was really fortunate to be in Singapore during the Dreams & Reality: Masterpieces of Painting, Drawing & Photography from the Musée d'Orsay Paris exhibition. Going there was the cheapest thing I did in Singapore (admission was only S$11!) and definitely the most enjoyable.

There was only one van Gogh, but for whatever reason, there was a whole bunch of Monets. Not that I don't admire Claude Monet. I just don't find his work very stimulating. My opinion only lah, don't get mad.

Study of a Figure Outdoors: Woman with a Parasol Looking to the Right, 1886.

Monet's brushstrokes are just too chaotic for me.

Boats: Regatta at Argenteuil, 1874.

Camille on Her Deathbed, 1879.

She was Monet's first wife who died of cancer. Now that's kinda creepy.

Branch of the Seine near Giverny, 1897.

I was really drawn to his signature here. Must have been the red paint.

Portrait of Madame Gaudibert, 1868.

Not your typical Monet. He could paint like a normal person pala.

Now this was really cool! By Théo van Rysselberghe who was younger than Monet but died in the same year.

Sailing Boats and Estuary, 1892-1895.

The uniformity of the dots appeals to my obsessive-compulsiveness.

I also preferred Camille Pissarro's style to Monet's.

Young Peasant Girl Lighting a Fire, 1887-1888.

The girl's skirt looks pink, but he didn't use any pink-colored paint at all. Amaaazing.

Stay tuned, more to come.

Dreams & Reality: Masterpieces of Painting, Drawing & Photography from the Musée d'Orsay Paris runs from 26 October 2011 to 5 February 2012 at the National Museum of Singapore. The exhibition is open from 10am to 6pm everyday, except Saturdays from 10am to 8pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment