Saturday, December 12, 2009

i give up

For as long as I can remember, I have always had some kind of planner or organizer.

I started with the Hallmark datebook which I used to jot down people's birthdays. And then when I was in college, I used a simple spiral-bound tickler (usually the Corona brand). When I started working, I got myself a Filofax. At some point, I bought an electronic organizer, but I realized that I prefer to write things down. I love to make lists, and there is an immense satisfaction I feel when I mark an item "done" by crossing it out. It's not the same if you just click "delete".

Last month, the Starbucks barista in our neighborhood gave me the Starbucks sticker collector thingy. If I buy 17 drinks, I get the Limited Edition Starbucks Coffee 2010 Planner.

As of today:


I have spent over PHP1,200 (over US$26) already, and I still have eight drinks to go. I guess this would be OK if I were a regular Starbucks goer, but I'm not. I can get great coffee right at home. So I decided to give up, even though it went against every obsessive-compulsive cell in my body.

This past year, I have been using a Moleskine. It's an 18-month hard cover week-view planner. It's bloody expensive.


A couple of months ago, I decided no more Moleskines for me. I can make do with the blue Corona spiral notebook. I was window shopping at Trinoma Mall and saw this ON SALE:


It's the soft cover monthly planner with 73 ruled pages for notes. It was calling my name.

Ah, the Moleskine. Still bloody expensive, even on sale. The insert says: "Moleskine is the heir of the legendary notebook used for the past two centuries by great artists and thinkers, including Vincent Van Gogh, Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway, and Bruce Chatwin." How could I resist-- elitist that I am?

Someday, I will get the RED Moleskine planner, which is, of course, the most impractically expensive planner on the planet. We're meant to be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment