Sunday, December 30, 2012

hap chan = comfort food

I can already hear some people out there scoffing, "Hap Chan?"

Try to imagine being in my shoes. Since I started living on Boracay in 1996, there had never been a decent Chinese restaurant. No fried rice, no sweet and sour pork, no wanton noodle soup. For more than a decade I was deprived and desperate. And then Mongkok came... and disappeared in a blink of an eye.

About a year ago, Hap Chan opened its doors at Boracay Regency Resort. Happy happy joy joy. In January, I celebrated my birthday there.

Shrimp siomai, P90++

Sautéed beef with broccoli flower, P265++

So many self-proclaimed connoisseurs had so many things to say. Too expensive. Not as tasty as Hap Chan in Manila. Serving sizes too small. Etcetera ad nauseam.

Me? I was just incredibly grateful that I didn't have go all the way to the city for a taste of what has always been my idea of comfort food.

Yang Chow fried rice, P250++

Fish fillet with taufu, P300++

Hap Chan Boracay is not bad. Really. I'm not just saying that so that more people will patronize it and they don't close shop, like what happened to Mongkok.

Or maybe I am. So what? Chinese people should always have Chinese food nearby, dammit.

Birthday noodles, P250++

"Food is the most primitive form of comfort."
-- Sheilah Graham (1904-1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment