Friday, November 15, 2013

when yolanda came to town

In December 2006, typhoon Seniang's eye passed right over Boracay and wreaked all sorts of havoc. Since then, I've always kept tabs on the weather forecast. Two Saturdays ago, I noticed something big and bad approaching the Philippines. It turned out to be #Haiyan.


We battened down the hatches and waited. The day before the typhoon arrived, we had beautiful summery weather.


The predicted storm track of #YolandaPH was terrifying.


I had never seen the wind speed on Boracay reach 50 knots before, ever.


The morning of 8 November 2013, the storm was predicted to veer a bit south. We all heaved a guarded sigh of relief.


At 1PM, we started to feel the effects of the typhoon. I got a call from HSBC asking if I wanted to take out a loan.


At 4PM, part of my house's roof blew away and I sought shelter next door. For the first time in almost a week, I was able to sleep soundly. There was nothing else I could do.

The next morning...





My cute little house.








Boracay is very, very lucky.


Elsewhere, the nightmare has just started.


Read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment