Thursday, May 20, 2010

another thunderbolt

I've just finished reading "Anne Of Green Gables". I know, it's a kid's book, but my parents didn't exactly stock up on children's literature when we were growing up-- except for the Junior Encyclopaedia Britannica which I read from A to Z.

Anyway, I enjoyed Anne. I'll be looking for the other books in this series next time I go to a secondhand bookstore.

The gist of the story is in this paragraph:

"That Anne-girl improves all the time," she (Miss Barry) said. "I get tired of other girls-- there is such a provoking and eternal sameness about them. Anne has as many shades as a rainbow and every shade is the prettiest while it lasts. I don't know that she is as amusing as she was when she was a child, but she makes me love her, and I like people who make me love them. It saves me so much trouble in making myself love them."


Ah yes, I know what the author L.M. Montgomery means by that. There are some people who are just naturally loveable. Others are so difficult to even LIKE-- and those are usually one's relatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment