Friday, January 18, 2013

paoay church, ilocos norte

Mention "Ilocos" and I immediately think of Paoay Church. Iconic is an understatement.


I had been here before, but that was when my trusty Panasonic Lumix LX3 had not yet entered my life. I was extremely grateful to have a second chance to shoot this UNESCO World Heritage Site. I must say that the recent landscaping efforts have really brightened up the place.


The front of the church is marvelous, of course.



And the bell tower is one of the most awe-inspiring that I've ever seen.



I wasn't too impressed by the interior, though. When they repaired the roof, they used galvanized iron sheets and you can see the trusses. Definitely not part of the original design.



But to me, Paoay Church is all about the buttresses. Have I mentioned that I love buttresses?






Bonus shot: Two days earlier, our driver insisted that we swing by Paoay on the way back to Laoag from Vigan so that we could see the church all lit up at night. Lawrence, you da man.


Read more about San Agustin Church a.k.a. Paoay Church here.

No comments:

Post a Comment