Tuesday, July 19, 2011

bag or purse?

One of my favorite iPad apps is the NET-A-PORTER.COM catalog. It's the only fashion magazine I read regularly now. It's free, it has a cool layout, the articles are interesting and the products are very drool-worthy. Case in point:

Marc Jacobs Wellington leather shoulder bag in glossy red. £966

Although I collect Marc Jacobs dresses, I never really got his bags... until the Wellington. It just jumped out at me and I can't stop looking at it. I have nothing bad to say-- I even adore the little heart shapes.

Lots of bags come with an extra shoulder strap nowadays. Why didn't they think of it sooner?

Miu Miu's rose-taupe perforated glossed-leather tote. £959.15

I do believe that because of the shoulder strap, I am starting to lust for designer bags that I normally wouldn't have paid attention to, like Miu Miu and Michael Kors.

Michael Michael Kors Sloan textured-leather tote in camel. £348.82

Even my beloved Lanvin has jumped on the bandwagon. The Lovely Leopold's shoulder strap adds a casual, fun element to an otherwise serious design. Now the bag that costs as much as a secondhand car can be worn in multiple ways. More value for money!

Lanvin Lovely Leopold leather and calf hair shoulder bag. £1647.58

Does this shoulder bag trend have anything to do with the Cambridge Satchel craze that has (seemingly) gripped the entire world lately? Actually, I much prefer Coach's version. The leather looks so buttery soft and the color is more luxe than the Cambridge.

Coach Classics leather field bag. £411.06

This doesn't mean that I've gotten over my previous obsessions, you know. I'm still excited whenever I see new colors for the Mulberry Bayswater. The violet is particularly irresistible.

Mulberry Bayswater in vibrant violet leather. £885.49

And how can I get over Jil Sander's Market bag when they keep coming up with these ditzy, happy colors? As usual, it's sold out.

Jil Sander Market floral-print silk-twill bag. Sale price £148.76

Every woman needs a plain ol' giant tote that you can just chuck your whole house into. Python makes it elegantly nonchalant.

Newbark Weekend python-effect leather tote in anthracite. £712.51

I can't remember the last time a designer released a decent backpack. Kudos to Alexander Wang for making me wantwantwant.

Alexander Wang Marti leather backpack in teal. £751.33

All bag photos are from NET-A-PORTER.COM, of course.

Note: Last Friday, the girls and I watched the very excellent Love Loss And What I Wore. Bituin Esacalante brought the house down with her performance of the "I hate my purse" segment of the play. You could say that this blog post is inspired by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment