Friday, July 13, 2012

sukhumvit 38 food street

I suppose there are some places in this world more wonderful than a street full of food, but truthfully, I can't think of any.

On 2 May 2012, when I arrived at the Thong Lo station of the BTS Skytrain and gazed down at this marvel, I got goosebumps.


I knew that I wouldn't be able to eat everything, so a game plan was in order. I wanted pad thai noodles. One stall offered half a dozen versions of it.


Pretty good, but somehow the one I ate at Bangkok's train station had that extra oomph.


Another stall was the exclusive purveyor of satay. The pork satay was smoky, tender, moist, divine! And the super fresh side salad of cucumbers, onions and chilies was the perfect foil for the rich peanut sauce.


Bunny Rabbit had khao pad. Of course.


There are many expats living around the Sukhumvit 38/39 area, which means that the choices at this particular food street are not just your typical Thai greatest hits. I saw favorites from neighboring countries like simply cooked cockles and shellfish, stir-fried kway teow and boiled white chicken.




On any other evening, mango sticky rice for dessert would have been perfect, but it was just too hot and humid.


So instead, we got a bowl of cool, sweet and very cheap ice kacang.


This was the most memorable dessert I had in Bangkok. It was an amazing medley of textures and flavors that really hit the spot, and it cost only 25 baht.


Sukhumvit 38 is not the only food street in Bangkok, but it was the most convenient to get to from Phrom Phong. I look forward to visiting the others, but I will always have fond memories of the satay and ice kacang here.


More information about Bangkok's many food streets here.

No comments:

Post a Comment