Saturday, February 5, 2011

kiong-hee-what?

Will Chinese New Year ever be declared a holiday in the Philippines?


Because my doggy-dog got sick and had to be brought to Manila, I celebrated my birthday in Manila with La Familia for the first time in over a decade. And also Chinese New Year.


I took these pictures at the Power Plant Mall. I loved the way this mall was decorated during the Christmas season (take a look here) and for Chinese New Year, I was not disappointed. Very classy.

I've noticed that for this Chinese New Year, many people have stopped using the Cantonese greeting "Kung Hei Fat Choy". Instead, they are making an effort to pronounce the immensely more difficult Hokkienese phrase "Kiong Hee Hua Tsai", made even more complicated by the perplexing intonation.

And what about "Xin Nien Kuai Leh"? Er, let's try that next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment