Friday, November 5, 2010

breakfast of champions 2

When we hit the buffet tables again, I was torn between:

1. Eating the stuff that I had previously tried and already knew that I liked; and

2. Trying new stuff.

Second day, first plate. I couldn't help it. I love the scent of warm bread in the morning.

Nutty bread and some ring-shaped bread thingy-- not a doughnut, not a bagel. Champion: Who bakes that nutty bread?! Can I buy it by the loaf?

Second plate. The fixings of a typical Filipino breakfast on one side, and going European on the other side. (They ran out of horseradish for my salmon.)

Smoked salmon with mustard and capers. Tocino, longganisa, breakfast sausage and a spoonful of garlic rice. Two kinds of cheese. Champion: Tocino made from chicken, not pork. Less fat, and even more flavorful.

Third plate. For some reason, I felt like going native and eating fiesta fare.

Arroz caldo and pancit. Champion: The stir-fried noodles were surprisingly excellent. I think they used broth instead of plain water to soften the pancit. It made a world of difference.

Fourth plate. At this point, I broke down, forgot about my "strategy" and just took whatever looked good.

Steamed siomai topped with chili oil, dragon fruit, Schublig, orange and a mini quiche. Champion: Who doesn't love a big fat sausage? ;-)

Of course, we had to get some ensaymada. Unfortunately, they were dry and crumbly that day. Boo!

Still cute, but looks aren't everything.

To erase the taste of that horrid ensaymada, I grabbed some yoghurt with fresh mango. Sadly, it didn't ease the disappointment.

Fresh-squeezed yellow watermelon juice and yoghurt with fresh mango. Champion: Actually, ALL the fruit juices were very nice. They had mango, orange, honeydew, pineapple, red watermelon, cantaloupe and yellow watermelon. 

Each table at the Vintana Restaurant of Shangri-la's Boracay Resort & Spa had a centerpiece of little jars of honey and jam. Too adorable!

Should try with the nutty bread next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment