Wednesday, August 29, 2012

sunday in sai kung, part two

Earlier this month, I was watching Andrew Zimmern's show on TLC while I was working out.

(I like to watch food shows when I'm on the treadmill, OK? I'm sure that the other folks at the gym would rather be watching Fashion TV with skinny models prancing on runways, but I don't care. I control the remote, bwahaha! Food inspires me to exercise harder. The only reason I go to the gym is so that I can eat more.)

Anyhoo, Zimmern was in Hong Kong and he went to Sai Kung-- a place I had never heard about, and I've been going to Hong Kong regularly since my teens. I immediately decided that I should go there, and it was so worth the trip! I'm mentally patting myself on the back as I write this.

Sai Kung is a quaint little town in the New Territories. It started as a fishing village and the harbor is still very much the heart of the community. People go there for the fresh seafood, and you know how "fresh" really means "alive and kicking" in Chinese.




There's also (dead) seafood being dried everywhere. I bought some dried squid for my father.




I was so glad that I went on a Sunday. There was a nice "day-off" vibe in the air-- so different from the highly urbanized and fast-paced Hong Kong that most tourists are used to. There were lots of relaxed and happy citizens walking aimlessly on the boardwalk, enjoying the unseasonably pleasant weather, and they brought their dogs!




From Sai Kung pier, you can hire a boat and tour the outlying islands. I definitely want to do that when I go back to Hong Kong. Where's that church? Where can you find those funky rock formations? How come I've never been there?

Don't you just love it when you discover something new about a place that you thought was so familiar?



How I got there: From Tsim Sha Tsui, I took the MTR to Kowloon Bay station. I followed the exit signs to the huge shopping mall Telford Plaza and took the escalator down to the bus depot. I waited about 15 minutes for the green minibus (Number 1 Maxicab) that goes to Sai Kung. The whole journey took about an hour, including waiting times and getting lost inside Telford Plaza. Total fare is HK$16 (US$2) one-way and I used my Octopus card for both the MTR and the minibus.




Learn more about Sai Kung on Wikipedia.

2 comments:

  1. I have been keeping a very close eye on your blog in recent days, believe it or not I do eagerly anticipate every entry that you make, particularly when you have just returned from another gastronomic adventure. Well it seems you had a wonderful time in Hong Kong, each and every one of you photos has only emphasised the fact that despite visiting Hong Kong on many occasions I have only scratched the surface and much remains to be seen and of course eaten.

    Canned tuna ties the knot in seven days time, I am writing this in a London gastropub as I await his arrival for dinner accompanied by his wife to be Annya, the food will be no match for Hong Kongs exotic fare, however, the pub is dog friendly and my faithful rottweiler Storm is by my side, she is now my special friend, just like Deedee was yours!







    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm telling you, we should all go to hong kong together!

    ReplyDelete