The music was called New Wave. Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Depeche Mode, Fra Lippo Lippi, The Cure-- icons of our age too many mention. Let's not forget the one-hit wonders, too. B-Movie, anyone?
And then there was Tears For Fears. All of us knew them and their songs. But somehow they did not inspire rabid and die-hard loyalties like Spandau and Duran. Instead, they quietly got under our skin. Their lyrics were burned into our psyches-- "Welcome to your life. There's no turning back." So simple, so painful, so true. And the melodies! Our hearts beat in time with the drums and bass of "Shout, shout, let it all out."
How could we not watch the concert? We waited 20 years for them to come.
I had never seen so many middle-aged headbangers in one place.
We sang with all the might of our lost youth. We sang the second voices, too, gademit!
The band was not expecting a karaoke session with 25,000 former Michael Jackson and Madonna Wannabes.
Let me tell you, Curt Smith was NOT this sexy when we were in high school. He sang this song from his solo album that no-one had ever heard of.
1. When Raimund Marasigan of the front act Sandwich said, "Let's welcome to the stage... Ely Buendia!"
2. When Ely took the mic and sang "Alapaap" with Raimund on the drums.
3. When the audience couldn't wait for the second front act Pupil to finish their set so that TFF could start, but were too polite to say so. Baka magalit si Ely e.
4. When Tears For Fears took the stage with the Donnie Darko/Adam Lambert version of "Mad World".
5. Which segued into "Everybody Wants To Rule The World".
6. When Curt Smith sang "Mad World" again-- the original version.
7. When Roland Orzabal sang Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean".
8. When my seatmate Underage Jen exclaimed to her husband Bry the Incredible Shrinking Man, "You know all the words!"
9. When we realised that Curt is extremely hot for a balding old guy. Wait, we're also old na pala.
10. When the male backup singer sang Oleta Adams' part in "Woman In Chains".
Yez, we can STILL work it out!