Saturday, September 8, 2012

shopping and eating

Although I was in Hong Kong for five whole days, from the 11th to the 15th of August 2012 (including a brief jaunt to Macau), somehow I didn't get to see or do very much.

All of my shopping was done in a day and a half.

My loot from the supermarkets Wellcome on Hankow Road and Market Place by Jasons at K11 Art Mall.

Clothes from Initial, I.T., Giordano and Cotton On. Assorted useless things from Lost & Found, G.O.D. (Goods Of Desire) and emoi.

When I had run out of things to buy, I amused myself by checking out the window displays at a couple of shopping malls.

I could've spent hours at The Landmark in Central, just watching the shadows move across the floor as the day progressed.

The Louis Vuitton x Yayoi Kusama collaboration reminded me of my most beautiful, most disturbing dreams...

The dreams I had as a child that I didn't want to wake up from, but at the same time filled me with dread.

Most of the time, I was out on the streets, exploring Tsim Sha Tsui and chowing down at the locals' hangouts.

Chili garlic oil, dark soy sauce and red vinegar on the table are always a sign of good things to come.

Tsui Wah Restaurant's fish combination vermicelli soup and nai cha (milk tea). Lunch for HK$51 (US$6.50).

Roast goose with flat noodle soup at Guangdong Barbecue Restaurant. Dinner for HK$38 (less than US$5).

I was very pleased with my new discovery, Sai Kung Town in the New Territories.

I think that the driver of the mini bus I took to Sai Kung actually lives inside his vehicle.

So happy I was able to see another side of Hong Kong.

Hung Kee restaurant: where you can get to know your seafood before consuming them. 

But I didn't visit any museums, temples, markets or parks. I guess that means I'll have more stuff to do next time.

Note: Although I prefer the larger, rounder, bouncier fish ball of Singapore, the veritable feast of fish balls, squid balls, fish rolls and fish paste puffs on top of Tsui Wah's noodle soup took it to another level. It was a hearty and comforting meal, and the nai cha was a rich and creamy eye-opener. As for the roast goose, Guangdong is not as famous as Yung Kee in Central, but it is just as good. The food is cheaper and the place has more local flavor.

In Hong Kong, there's really no need to look beyond your own neighborhood for great fast food. If I stay in the Tsim Sha Tsui area again on my trip to Hong Kong, I would most likely go back to these two holes-in-the-wall. There's some interesting stuff on their menus I'd like to try, like prawns in XO sauce with noodles (HK$50 at Tsui Wah) and pork char siew rice topping (HK$32 at Guangdong).

No comments:

Post a Comment