Saturday, November 16, 2013

lunch at bayfront, dinner at esplanade

The last time I was in Singapore, Gardens by the Bay was still under construction. For this trip, I set aside one whole day, 26 October 2013, to check it out. Naturally, I already planned where to eat.

Lunch was at Marina Bay Sands. I recently discovered that Din Tai Fung has a branch at The Shoppes.

I'm always impressed whenever I see this building.

No trip to Singapore is complete without a meal at DTF, and no meal at DTF is complete without xiao long bao.

Steamed pork dumplings (XLB), 6 pieces for SGD7.30++

Still the best, the best, the best!

Pork and shrimp dumplings (siomai), 6 pieces for SGD10.30++

Pretty, but not as tasty as the xiao long bao.


Noodle with spicy sauce (dandanmen), SGD7++

Spicy delicious, good to the last slurp.

Special braised beef noodle soup with beef brisket, SGD11.50++

Dinner was at Esplanade. I've wanted to try Makansutra Gluttons Bay for the longest time.


KF Seetoh recommended these dishes. The satay sauce was amazing, but the chicken wings and fried rice were just so-so.

Alhambra Padang Satay mixed pork and chicken satay platter, SGD7


Hong Kong Street Old Chun Kee's prawn paste chicken, and...

fried rice, total SGD18

Ice kachang from The Sweet Spot, SGD3

Verdict: I prefer the Din Tai Fung at Paragon Orchard because the queues are longer. Somehow dumplings and noodles seem to taste better when there's a horde of starving denizens clamoring to secure a table. To be fair, though, the outlet at The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands is great. A convenient location, fast and efficient service, and I can't complain about the food. In my search for the best xiao long bao, Din Tai Fung is still the clear winner.

Although Makansutra Gluttons Bay is more expensive than the usual hawker centres, probably because the clientele is mostly tourists, it's still the cheapest place at Esplanade to grab a bite. The vendors are personally selected by Singapore's shepherd of street food KF Seetoh, so you have some kind of assurance that you'll have a good meal there. But honestly, I wouldn't go all the way to Esplanade just to eat at Gluttons Bay when there are yummier, and sometimes cheaper, alternatives all over the island. In any case, I like hanging out at Esplanade. How could I not with views like these?



Din Tai Fung Singapore
Makansutra

No comments:

Post a Comment